What are the available visualization types and which one should I use?
Introduction to Charts
Step-by-step guide to adding new visualizations
X mean: 54.26, X SD: 16.76 Y mean: 47.83, Y SD: 26.93 Corr: -0.06
Speaker Notes Anscombe’s quartet, all these datasets have same mean, standard deviation and correlation, yet when visualizing them it is revealed they have vastly different structures.
Types of visualizations in Galaxy
- Trackster - built-in genome browser
- Display applications
- UCSC Genome Browser
- Galaxy tools
- Visualization plugins
- Interactive Environments
- IOBIO (bam/vcf visualizations)
- Phinch (metagenomics visualizations)
Which should I use?
Charts Visualization Framework
Chart Configuration - Bar chart example
If a plugin is unavailable, custom visualization types like this heat map here can be added.
Charts is able to pre-process large-scale data behind the scenes.
Showing Protein-Protein Interaction data from http://www.compsysbio.org/bacteriome/ .
Charts - PDB viewer example
Speaker Notes click the image to run the video
- Charts is a pluggable extension system for JS-only visualizations
- With three key files we can integrate any JS-only visualization into Galaxy